Thursday, May 7, 2009

New Show

If in the Gig Harbor area, please visit my new work at:

Cutters Point Coffee

5006 Point Fosdick Dr NW, Gig Harbor

(253) 858-2348
A few paintings on view:





Iceland 25
acrylic/ photo transfer
30" X 30"





Below Up
acrylic/ photo transfer
30" X 30"


ARTIST STATEMENT


I’m attracted to photos most people would throw away; photos that are out of focus, with partial or distorted images, or unnatural eye-popping color.


Using a spontaneously taken photograph as a starting point, this image is photo transferred onto medium, applied to a substrate, then “extended”. Through multiple layers of acrylic glazes the photo’s color and form reach beyond its borders until the initial image is almost undetectable.


My interest in this process began as a study in the precise nature of my decorative painting business, started in 1993. Focusing on murals, faux finishes, and marbleizing, my business also includes the constant challenge of color matching and “fooling the eye” through trompe l’oeil.


Exploring this method of blending an original image into an “extended” version through color and form becomes the basis of this work.





2 comments:

Laurel Allen said...

Give me a Star Trek transporter and I'll be there a half-hour early. Beautiful work!

mindy barker said...

AWWWW, that is the sweetest thing to say...wish there really were transporters so I could see your lovely self!